Monday, October 22, 2007

green

I believe in the power of people to change small things about their lives that have the potential for enormous impact.

This evening I read an article by Thomas Friedman in the New York Times that said if you want to save the planet, it doesn’t matter if you change your light bulbs or buy a hybrid car – what really matters is that you get out there and vote for leaders who embrace “green” ideals. While usually I agree with Friedman and do believe that electing the right leaders is important, I cannot fathom that he actually believes that the small changes individuals make are irrelevant. What Friedman fails to acknowledge is that these seemingly small changes made by individuals are the result of a change in consciousness. It is the recognition that our lifestyle choices affect our environment. It is an expression of ethical intent. Electing so-called green leaders is senseless if people do not care enough about their beliefs to let it affect their individual choices.

Moreover, Friedman seems to underestimate the power of trend-setters and peer pressure to change people’s actions. Personally, I don’t know that I would have had the motivation to become a vegetarian if so many of my friends had not already forged the way. Their example showed me that it was not an impossible task. They taught me of the environmental and economic reasons for vegetarianism. And I raise awareness of vegetarianism as an option each time I go out to dinner with someone. Indeed, even my most ardent meat-eating roommate has come to agree with the rational of reducing or eliminating one’s meat-intake.

In the last year I have gotten rid of my car and replaced it with public transportation. I’ve replaced my light bulbs with energy efficient ones. I’ve started buying most of my produce at local farmers markets. And I continue to not eat meat with the exception of fish on occasion. While I cannot claim to be a perfect environmental citizen, I’ve taken intentional steps as an individual to change my lifestyle, not so much because I believe that they are going to drastically change the environment, but because it is an expression of my belief in being an environmentally responsible individual. If Mr. Friedman wants people to vote green, they’re going to have to believe in it first.

No comments: