Wednesday, November 02, 2005

At the Gym

occasionally (though not too often) interesting and amusing things happen to me at the gym...

(1) McGym
As I hand Mr. Orange Tan my membership card-
Dude: Do you want to hear about this totally amazing limited time deal we got going today?
Me: (early for my class) mmm... ok. I guess.
Dude: Ok, so if you pay for 3 years of gym memberships upfront, today, at your current rate, you will pay only 25 bucks a year for the rest of your life! (smiles big cheesy grin)
Thinking and calculating how much 3 years of membership would actually cost...
Me: So... that would be nearly $1400
Dude: Yup! It's a hell of a deal
Me: (laughing) Ok, so assuming that I could afford to pay you $1400 right now, which I can't, I probably won't even be around here for three years.
Dude: Oh, but that doesn't even matter! Pretty soon we're going to be like the McDonald's of gyms!!! (he's really excited now) We're going to be EVERYWHERE! (making big hand motions)
Me: (raising an eyebrow and grimacing slightly)
Dude: uh.... we're going to be the Starbucks of Gyms!
Me: (walks away)

(2) Creepy Guy?
Most Tuesdays Lauren and I go to a kickboxing class and I'm always a little bit annoyed by the guys who linger in the doorway just a little too long watching a mostly female class jumping and flailing about. There's always at least one and today was no exception.

I'm happily doing my triple-jab-cross punches when I notice a creepy looking guy in white track pants and glasses standing in the back of the class, looking around and laughing to himself. This is enough to get me going, but next thing I know, he pulls his camera phone out out of his pocket and starts taking pictures. Now usually I can restrain myself, but today I wasn't going to take it. I turned around and walked up to him:
Me: What do you think you're doing!!!!!!
Creepy guy: (not even looking up from his phone) I'm filming my wife.

I marched back up to my spot in the class, feeling a little bit foolish. But let's be honest, filming your wife or just filming girls in the class - both are a little bit creepy.

No comments: