Monday, July 11, 2005

Minutiae

My weekends are often filled with tiny nothings, but this weekend was filled with tiny (if bizarre) expeditions that make me feel like an explorer. Here is why:

1) I went to a drum core show in Diamond Bar with a boy I don't know very well, his sister, and his high school friends. Who knew that some people liked marching band so much that they would do it regardless of whether they were affiliated with any school or sports team. These are hard core marchers - wait, drum core... It made me realize how many niche markets exist out there. Apparently I'm in the market for professional marching band music. I even paid good money to see it. And afterwards, we passed by the lotus festival in Echo Park (in the dark) and somehow it was more eerie and beautiful that way.

2) Shopping in Pasadena. It seems like this far off place. It's past downtown and you traverse through multiple tunnels to get there, but once you get there it is this magical place where it actually feels like summer. You can eat frozen yogurt and it melts the way it should because it's HOT. You can feel it beaming off the pavement. In addition to the beautiful old buildings, there are old ladies who wear moomoos and lipstick that ventures out beyond the boundaries of their lips, and there are hot men who work at the J.Crew. mm hm. It does not matter that when they introduce themselves to you as "Ian," it is because they are commission whores. All that really matters is that my friends will humor me and try to convince me that one of them was checking me out.

I love these tiny bizarre adventures, and how they get sandwiched between conversations over frisbee and last days of work.

3 comments:

owt said...

beauty is a form of genius - is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation... it is of the great facts in the world like sunlight, or springtime, or the reflection in dark water of that silver shell we call the moon.

: wilde.

Angie said...

Whatever, as a witness Ian was freakin' hot and was checking you out. I doubt if commission was the only thing on his mind.

j.e.t. said...

he he. it's true. he was hot.